Saturday, February 6, 2010

Static vs Dynamic Technologies




As an art teacher I think I am somewhere in-between static and dynamic. Just a portion of my curriculum involves the use of technology. I have limited access to the technology in the school because of so many teachers trying to use it all at one time. I often use static technologies such as powerpoint for demonstrations. We also use interactive web tutorials. I do allow my students to integrate the use of technology in their artwork. It is great for many of my students who do not feel confident about their drawing skills because they may be able to discover new ways to create art on the computer.

For my advanced students, we are more on the dynamic end of the spectrum. They are able to take their drawings and paintings and alter them using software such as Photoshop to create a brand new piece of art. Next, I plan to set up a Wiki site for my advanced students to upload their artworks in order to critique each other.

9 comments:

  1. I love your grapic organizer! It looks great and reflects you as an art teacher! I find myself using more dymanic practices with my advanced students as well. I seems they can handle out of the ordinary tasks. They also have stronger critical thinking skills that help when incorperating something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiana,

    You are truly an artist and use your skills to enhance the visual appeal to your audience.

    Are you also using Photoshop to get such great effects?


    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,

    I usually use Print Shop for my graphics. It's a very old version, but I'm so used to using it that I can work faster than with photoshop because I know all of the commands and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiana,


    How is the video coming?

    Miss Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think art teachers never really have computers in their classrooms. I wonder if you could incorporate more in the way of digital photography and videos into your art class, especially when considering installations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tosh,
    The main problem with using digital photography and video in the art class is having access to enough technology to go around. I have to share lab time with the rest of the school, and art projects are not usually able to be completed in one period. The AP art class must use a great deal of photography because they have to submit their artwork digitally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's rather unfortunate. I wonder since we are teaching "digital learners" if students are as restless in an art class as they would be in an English or Math class. I suppose since equipment is not readily available to you, it's more about teaching with technology than learning with it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still love to create art the old fashioned way, and the kids enjoy it too. The struggle is finding ways to use technology without destroying the authenticity of creating art with your hands.

    ReplyDelete