Sunday, July 25, 2010

CONNECTIVISM



Click here to view mindmap.


I responded to Duane and Kimberly

* How has your network changed the way you learn?
My network has allowed me easy access to information. As a busy mom who works and goes to school full time, and is a part-time real estate agent, I would not be able to function without my network. I can do things form home that were virtually impossible to do a few years ago. Just the fact that I am doing this assignment proves that I am learning in new ways. The online university has afforded me the flexibility I need to pursue a higher degree, which will afford me more professional and financial opportunities at work.

* Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
If you look at my mindmap, you will notice that I have definitely become more connected since becoming a student at Walden. As I am introduced to new technologies, I find one more fascinating than the next. The wiki is my new favorite. As you can see, I use it at Walden and in the school where I work.

* How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?
I do what everyone else does, I Google it! I also learn a lot by trial and error. I have been able to teach myself a lot just by playing around, and using online tutorials. I find that I may spend a great deal of time teaching myself how to do something, but once I get it, it's great! I taught myself how to do an imovie a few years ago because I wanted to make a unique wedding gift for someone. Now, people actually pay me to create movies for them.

7 comments:

  1. Kiana, I like your thoughts about learning through trial and error. It is sometimes frustrating to see educators that are afraid to fail with new technology. I learned how to do a lot of things on the computer by just fumbling around till it worked and then going back to make it do it again. Now that you can learn how to do just about anything on a computer with google and you tube I just keep learning more. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, trial and error is a great tool. That is how I learned to use Macs and PCs back in my early undergrad years. I would love to see more teachers break free from their comfort zone and attack a technology head on and learn how it can enhance their classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiana

    We are both self-directed learners because we use trial and error, tutorials, or other helpful strategies to teach ourselves how to use technology effectively. I also like to make movies using Windows moviemaker, but I do not have any experience with using the imovie program.

    I wonder how do people live without the ability to Google something. I like the way you organized your network mindmap using different categories. Do you think any of your connections overlap from personal to real estate, or college to work? As you mentioned, when we learn a new type of technology, we become more fascinated and motivated than ever before. Thus, I instantly want to try new ideas in my classroom. During this school year, I hope that I can incorporate the use of Google Docs in my classroom as students create computer-based projects.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the organization of your map. It was a little hard to read when you zoomed in, but I had the same problem with mine!

    I couldn't agree more on your comments about trial and error. I find myself telling my students that when they are given different ways to solve a problem. I encourage them to see what works best; similar to what you would do in life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your mindmap. I have never heard of Pollux or Zimbra before. I agree that networks allow easier access to information. The more resources you have the better chance you have of solving problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kiana, I saw that you are also a part time real estate agent. Has the tools you have learned via your networks allowed you to enhance your real estate business?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now mt real estate is on the back burner because I'm so busy with work, school, and parenting- not necessarily in that order.

    ReplyDelete